Full-Day Ice Cave Excursions
Walk underneath ancient ice
Endless photographic opportunities
Marvel at crystal clear ice
Discover amazing structures
Peek into bottomless moulins
Night tours are possible, too!
Full-Day Ice Cave Tour (2021)
From: ISK37.500 incl. VAT
An adventure packed full-day excursion.
For those looking to get the most out of their time in Iceland, this all-day adventure provides the best possible experience in and around our magic ice caves. The super flexible timing gives photographers all the time they’ll need to thoroughly study and image the places we visit, allows us to visit places that are further away than what is within reach on shorter tours, and we can venture down into moulins or add other adventures on the way.
Everything about this private tour is flexible and can be changed to match your preferences and overall travel plans. But as an example, the itinerary for what is currently one of the best ice caves in the area and including a longer glacier hike could be as follow:
- We meet at Jökulsárlón at 8:00 (earlier or later starts are of course – if you prefer a different meeting time, just add a note during the booking process!)
- Scenic superjeep drive to the trail head (approximately 40 minutes)
- We then prepare our gear and hike out to the ice cave. The hike takes about 25-30 minutes, primarily over rock and gravel
- Arrive at the cave at about 9:30. We then explore the cave take pictures for as long as you want! We might want to set aside about two hours to ensure we have enough time to take it all in and also take plenty of pictures.
- Once we feel ready to move on, we gear up for the glacier. This is also a good opportunity to have a small snack before we head out.
- As we traverse the glacier, we may choose to investigate crevasses and rappel into deep moulins (and maybe need to ice climb back out!).
- One of the most spectacular locations I like to visit is where Breiðamerkurjökull is calving into Jökulsárlón – a longer hike to reach but definitely worth it, and a great place to have a lunch break and enjoy the view.
- Eventually the time will come to head back, and after many more stops on the glacier we eventually return to Jökulsárlón at about 16:00, for a total duration of 8 hours.
Please note that what’s possible is always dictated by weather conditions and the amount of daylight on the day of the tour.
- Meeting at Jökulsárlón or pick-up from your accommodation in the area
- Superjeep transportation
- All glacier / ice cave related safety equipment (helmet, harness, crampons, ice axe)
- Guiding by a trained mountain guide and professional photographer
WHAT TO BRING
- Good, solid outdoor clothing (thermal layers and wind- and waterproof outer shell jacket and pants); scarf / buff, gloves and wooly hat
- Sturdy hiking boots (at least ankle high) are essential for safe use of crampons. Semi-stiff soles are best.
- Bring an extra layer to put on while we stop and admire the ice caves
- Sunglasses, ski googles or another form of eye protection. If the wind picks up there might be dust or ice particles in the air.
- Snacks that will keep you fueled throughout the tour; a thermos with tea or other hot beverage.
- A camera. A tripod can be helpful in the darker corners of ice caves! (although even modern smartphones can take pretty amazing photos too)
Háfjall ehf. (530513-0410)
781 Höfn, Iceland