Taking the glacier hike to the next level! This is an intense one-day excursion where we leave the easy terrain behind and venture into more challenging environments, all the way to vertical. We will explore various walking and climbing techniques, practice proper use of ice axes and ice tools, and learn how to build anchors and use ropes to descend and ascend safely. Then we will apply our new skills to descend deep into the glacier and see what it is made from on the inside.
Regardless of whether you are an avid climber or this is your first time in a vertical space, this will be a fun and challenging day that will leave you with great impressions and a deeper understanding of how the glaciers work underneath their surface.
- Meeting at Jökulsárlón or pick-up from your accommodation in the area
- Superjeep transportation
- All glacier / ice cave related safety equipment (helmet, harness, crampons, ice axe / climbing tools)
- Guiding by a trained mountain guide and professional photographer
What to bring
- Good, solid outdoor clothing (thermal layers and wind- and waterproof outer shell jacket and pants); gloves and wooly hat; one extra layer to keep you warm at all times
- Sunglasses or ski goggles are great eye protection while climbing
- Sturdy hiking boots (at least ankle high) are essential for safe use of crampons. The boots should ideally be ‘crampon compatible’, or at least have a very stiff sole.
- Snacks that will keep you fuelled throughout the tour
- A camera is never wrong!