👉 We always update this gallery with fresh images!
Half-Day Ice Cave Tours
Thousand year old ice, constantly changing
See, feel, and hear the power of nature
Explore amazing glacier structures
Discover myriad shapes and forms
Half-Day Ice Cave Tour
From: ISK27.500 incl. VAT
— FULLY BOOKED —
Sorry! I am fully booked for the remainder of the 2022/23 winter season. If you would like to be put on a wait list, please send your desired day(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org . Cancellations are very rare but they do happen.
An easy, family friendly adventure.
Explore the amazing world that is hidden beneath the glacier! Every winter, we discover new locations and witness how the caves from previous years have changed. This half-day excursion is perfect for people with a shorter time budgets and those looking for an easy to moderately strenuous activity.
Everything about this private tour is flexible and can be changed to match your preferences and overall travel plans. But as an example, the itinerary for what is currently one of the best ice caves in the area could be as follows:
- We meet at Jökulsárlón at a time of your choice, let’s assume 9:00 for this example.
- Scenic superjeep drive to the trail head (approximately 40 minutes)
- We then prepare our gear and hike out to the ice cave. The hike takes about 30 minutes, primarily over rock and gravel
- Arrive at the cave at about 10:20. We then explore the cave take pictures for as long as you want! Typically we would spend a good hour in the cave, but it is entirely up to you.
- Eventually the time will come to head back, and we return to Jökulsárlón at about 13:00, for a total duration of 4 hours.
- Meeting at Jökulsárlón
- Superjeep transportation
- All glacier / ice cave related safety equipment (helmet, harness, crampons, microspikes and/or ice axe as required)
- Guiding by a trained mountain guide and professional photographer
WHAT TO BRING
- Good, solid outdoor clothing (thermal layers and wind- and waterproof outer shell jacket and pants); gloves and wooly hat
- Sturdy hiking boots (at least ankle high) are essential for safe use of crampons. Semi-stiff soles are best.
- Bring an extra layer to put on while we stop and admire the ice caves
- Sunglasses, ski googles or another form of eye protection. If the wind picks up there might be dust or ice particles in the air.
- Snacks that will keep you fueled throughout the tour; a thermos with tea is also great.
- A camera. A tripod can be helpful in the darker corners of ice caves! (although even modern smartphones can take pretty amazing photos too)
Háfjall ehf. (530513-0410)
781 Höfn, Iceland