👉 We always update this gallery with fresh images!
Half-Day Ice Cave Tours
Thousand year old ice, constantly changing
See, feel, and hear the power of nature
Explore amazing glacier structures
Discover myriad shapes and forms
Half-Day Ice Cave Tour
From: kr.20.000 incl. VAT
An easy, family friendly adventure.
Explore the amazing world that is hidden beneath the glacier! Every winter, we discover new locations and witness how the caves from previous years have changed. This half-day excursion is perfect for people with a shorter time budgets and those looking for an easy to moderately strenuous activity. Besides the ice cave, there is also an option to include a short glacier hike and explore the “topside” of one of Iceland’s largest outlet glaciers.
While ice caves are generally only accessible in winter (November – March or early April), this year we are blessed with excellent conditions and have been able to keep bookings available for longer than usual. However, please keep in mind that late season accessibility is dependent on favorable conditions and plans may change on relatively short notice.
Everything about this private tour is flexible and can be changed to match your preferences and overall travel plans. But as an example, the itinerary for what is currently one of the best ice caves in the area and including a short glacier hike could be as follows:
- We meet at Jökulsárlón at 9:00 (much earlier starts are of course possible and preferable for photography – if you prefer a different meeting time, just add a note during the booking process!)
- Scenic superjeep drive to the trail head (approximately 40 minutes)
- We then prepare our gear and hike out to the ice cave. The hike takes about 25-30 minutes, primarily over rock and gravel
- Arrive at the cave at about 10:15. We then explore the cave take pictures for as long as you want! Typically we would spend about an hour in the cave, but it is entirely up to you.
- Once we feel ready to move on, we gear up for the glacier and start to explore the “topside” as well. Crevasses, moulins and vast landscapes await, and we can make the exploration as easy or as adventurous as you like!
- Eventually the time will come to head back, and we return to Jökulsárlón at about 13:00, for a total duration of 4 hours.
- Meeting at Jökulsárlón or pick-up from your accommodation in the area
- Superjeep transportation
- All glacier / ice cave related safety equipment (helmet, harness, crampons, ice axe)
- Guiding by a trained mountain guide and professional photographer
WHAT TO BRING
- Good, solid outdoor clothing (thermal layers and wind- and waterproof outer shell jacket and pants); gloves and wooly hat
- Sturdy hiking boots (at least ankle high) are essential for safe use of crampons. Semi-stiff soles are best.
- Bring an extra layer to put on while we stop and admire the ice caves
- Sunglasses, ski googles or another form of eye protection. If the wind picks up there might be dust or ice particles in the air.
- Snacks that will keep you fueled throughout the tour; a thermos with tea is also great.
- A camera. A tripod can be helpful in the darker corners of ice caves! (although even modern smartphones can take pretty amazing photos too)
Háfjall ehf. (530513-0410)
781 Höfn, Iceland