Full-Day Glacier Hike on Breiðamerkurjökull
Go further! On this full-day excursion, we will go far beyond the beaten path and visit places that few other people discover. The terrain we will need to cover is easy to moderately difficult, and excursions into more challenging conditions are easily possible.
A great tour for photographers looking for a wide variety of motifs as well as for everybody who just can’t get enough of glaciers!
This tour is available all year, but should be considered difficult in the winter months.
In a Nutshell
- Full day (5-6 hours)
- Mostly in easy to moderately difficult terrain
- Fantastic views over the glacier and of Jökulsárlón
- Ideal for photographers
- Requires good fitness
- Available all year
- We begin the tour by meeting at Jökulsárlón – the Glacier Lagoon – or upon request at another location that suits your travel plans.
- After a short briefing and equipment check, we drive our modified vehicle over a rough 4×4 road towards the glacier. This usually takes about 30-40 minutes.
- Once we are at the trail head, we go through our gear, adjust it as needed, and set off towards the glacier. The approach hike currently takes between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on the location we choose.
- Then, it is time to put on our crampons! We will briefly discuss good walking technique (since we are now moving with knives attached to our feet, there are a few things to keep in mind) and then set off onto the ice.
- At first, the glacier is a very gentle and easy slope – perfect to familiarise yourself with the feeling of crampons and ensure the fitment is perfect.
- On the way up we will likely already encounter interesting features, some of which can even be accessed with little or moderate difficulty, where we will practice more advanced movement techniques.
- We may also stop and put down an anchor, so that we can attach ourselves to a rope and safely peer over the edge of the sheer abyss of a moulin’s edge.
- Our route will eventually take us to the edge of the glacier lagoon, where we will make a longer stop and marvel at the calving front of the glacier.
- With enough patience, we also sometimes witness smaller and larger chunks breaking off the glacier and forming new icebergs! This makes this place the perfect location for a longer stop and enjoy a snack or two. Photographers may find it difficult to leave 🙂
- Eventually we will pack up and begin our return trip, which will follow a slightly different route to give us even more opportunities to discover interesting locations on the way back.
Total round trip distance is approximately 6-10km (depends on which route we choose to take).
The overall duration of this tour is usually between 5 and 6 hours.
- Meeting at Jökulsárlón
- Super flexible timing!
- Transportation by modified 4×4 vehicle
- All glacier related safety equipment (helmets, harnesses, crampons, and ice axes)
- Private tour guiding by a trained mountain guide and professional photographer
WHAT TO BRING
- Good, solid outdoor clothing (thermal layers and wind- and waterproof outer shell jacket and pants); gloves and wooly hat
- Sturdy hiking boots (at least ankle high) are essential for safe use of crampons. Semi-stiff soles are best.
- Bring an extra layer to put on while we stop, have a snack, and/or take pictures.
- Sunglasses, ski googles or another form of eye protection. If the wind picks up there might be dust or ice particles in the air.
- Snacks that will keep you fueled throughout the tour; a thermos with tea is also great.
- A camera. A tripod can be helpful in the darker corners of ice caves! (although even modern smartphones can take pretty amazing photos too)