👉 We always update this gallery with fresh images!
Night-Time Ice Cave Tours
(who is also an expert mountain guide)
Guided by a pro photographer
See the glacier in an entirely new light
Game changing opportunities
Capture northern lights from stunning locations
An entirely new world of photographic possibilitites
Capture unique images even if the lights aren't out
An adventure to remember!
Night-Time Ice Cave or Glacier Tour
From: kr.55.000 incl. VAT
Looking for the “holy grail” – northern lights from ice caves or on the glacier!
This late evening tour gives you the best opportunities to make it happen. Be sure to bring extra warm clothes, hot beverages and patience as we set up and wait for the lights to happen. A good dose of luck is also required – the weather and solar activity will need to cooperate too, but even without the aurora ice caves and glacial structures begin to have an entirely different look at night.
Everything about this private tour is flexible and can be changed to match your preferences and overall travel plans. In particular we will also take weather patterns into consideration when deciding on the best location for this tour. But as a guideline, the itinerary would be as follows:
- We meet at Jökulsárlón or another suitable location at 20:00
- Superjeep drive to the trail head (approximately 30 minutes)
- We then prepare our gear and hike out to the ice cave. The hike takes about 30-45 minutes, primarily over rock and gravel
- Set up and shoot in and around the cave for about two to three hours.
- We might choose to hike out onto the glacier as well, if conditions are safe.
- Return back to the meeting point at around 1:30 for a total duration of 5-6 hours.
- Meeting at Jökulsárlón or pick-up from your accommodation in the area
- Superjeep transportation
- All glacier / ice cave related safety equipment (helmet, harness, crampons, ice axe as required)
- Guiding by a trained mountain guide and professional photographer
WHAT TO BRING
- Good, solid outdoor clothing (thermal layers and wind- and waterproof outer shell jacket and pants); scarf / buff, gloves and wooly hat. Make sure it’s way warmer than you think is necessary.
- Sturdy hiking boots (at least ankle high) are essential for safe use of crampons. Semi-stiff soles are best.
- Bring an extra layer to put on while we stop and admire the ice caves
- Headlamps or small hand torch to operate your camera and/or experiment with light painting.
- Snacks that will keep you fueled throughout the tour; a thermos with tea or other hot beverage.
- A camera and tripod (ideally with spiked feet).
Due to the late time and additional exposure, this tour requires above average physical condition and is not suitable for younger children. Minimum age is 16 years. We may need to cancel the tour due to adverse weather conditions. Obviously we can’t guarantee the aurora will be active, but we promise it’ll be an amazing tour even if the lights aren’t out.
Háfjall ehf. (530513-0410)
781 Höfn, Iceland